Mane (CRIN 604)

Digital tools in education

February 1, 2010

Second Life: VSTE, Book discussion

Filed under: Second Life,VSTE — mepada @ 10:43 pm

It is 8:00PM on 2/1 and I am sitting at a meeting in Second Life tonight (VSTE island).Very interesting!  The conversations are being conducted via mic (voice) and text messaging.
The moderator just sent us a link to a Google Docs  document that we all had to open. All the participants are writing something down …synchronously (within Second Life)!  She also asked us to click on a page of the novel being discussed (Blood on the River) – displayed in our SL site. A quote from this page appeared on my local chat window.
Next the moderator asked us to telport ourselves to a different part of the island (to the Sandbox) where she described a tool called: conceptualizer 0.7 (a 3-D graphic tool) which we learned to use to write text and create nodes.

Great experience!

Hope to go back!

Here are some pics:

Discussing the novel Discussing the novel

Learning to use the conceptualizer Creating nodes and writing text

Putting it all together Putting it all together!

1 Comment

1. I appreciate this description of what happened on your first attempt with Second Life at VSTE. My concern is that it sounds like I will be learning a different language – “concepualizer” and “creating nodes”. I may need an interpreter to participate. I’m hoping that when we do participate in a meeting at VSTE that there will be some assistance and guidance for beginners.

Comment by debg — February 6, 2010 @ 4:33 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.