Mane (CRIN 604)

Digital tools in education

January 29, 2010

iEarn

Filed under: iEarn — mepada @ 5:07 pm

Wow! What an amazing article! The king of “stuff” I would hope everyone is considering when teaching in the 21st Century!

I first noticed the shift (and emphasis) from “prepare students to be motivated and active participants in their world” vs. the local community, which in my opinion is also important, reflecting the true neature of our world today. The whole worls has become our “local community”!

I recognize the importance iEarn place on instructional activities that link to important key terms in today’s education, such as networking and sharing (folktales project); learning from others, collaboration, and sharing of information (the Wetlands project); “movers and doers” (the land mines project).

I also learned a new expression: ACTIVIST TEACHING. What a great way to call it for what it is! According to Wikipedia (sorry Wikipedia skeptics), “Activism, in a general sense, can be described as intentional action to bring about social, political, economic, or environmental change”. However, even though sometimes this word is directly related to extreme confrontation, It is apparent to me that iEarn embraces the sort of productive and positive activism rather than agressive and confrontational type.

What best way to achieve effective and longlasting change than to do it through debate, research and sharing of opinions.  I believ iEan has gotten it right! (if now the poloticians and rulers of our world would follow suit!)

I was also simpressed with the structure (premise) of the workshops at the World Bank: Learn – teach others – Follow up upon returning to your own school.

To me the best indicator of this program’s success is the students themselves. Students who complain and express disappointment because they are no longer exposed to global interaction…say it all!

2 Comments

1. The phrase “prepare students to be motivated and actively participants in their world” spoke to me as well. Technology has made the world the local community in many ways as you’ve mentioned. I like that the the project focuses on collaboration and that activism is done through this collaboration with the purpose of enhancing “the quality of life on the planet.” You are right that world leaders need to come on board with the same goal and attitude.

Comment by debg — January 31, 2010 @ 2:55 pm

2. I too am impressed with iEarn! What a great way to get your students involved with real world problem-solving. I look back on my own experiences as a student and how uninvolved I was in the learning and the world. Activist Teaching, how cool is that.

Comment by Sue Land — February 1, 2010 @ 7:17 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.